Washington Post Articles

So, going off what we talked about today in class, I went to a potential primary source, the Washington Post, to see what they had on James Farmer. Here’s what I’ve discovered about Washington Post articles: there are plenty; however, getting access to them might not be possible.

I didn’t know that to read the archives on the Post website means that you have to pay like the New York Times, which isn’t feasible (the prices are ridiculous). Now, I know that we can go around this in academic databases like LexusNexus, but we will still run into the problem of copyright. All the articles are copyright The Washington Post Company. At least we know who to write to for them, not that that was rocket science to figure out, but I’m skeptical that they will let us use them since they usually charge money for them. Additionally, academic databses like LexusNexus, for example, also don’t include the pictures that the paper runs with the articles, so I don’t know how we’d get around that either.

Sorry, team. It’s not technically impossible, but it will be hard.

Tags: , , ,

5 Responses to “Washington Post Articles”

1. lgumkow Says:

Hey Colin. It was worth at shot right? We might have more luck with the Free Lance Star since they won’t charge for their archives. Oh well. Thanks for the effort!

2. Mary H. Says:

There is a lot of stuff in the bullet…and I only put one example on the supersecretspecialblog

and yes, it’s all one word.

3. Colin Says:

Sorry to be a buzzkill. That’s good to hear about the Bullet. Maybe we should instead push Farmer’s daughter and see if she would give us anything.

4. ameye5hp Says:

Not sure if you guys have done this already, but while waiting to see Dr. McClurken today, Austin handed me an old yearbook in the Dept. Suite and it talked about Farmer giving the keynote address and had some great pictures. You should probably check them out if you haven’t already. I was looking at the 1987 one.

5. Sona si latine loqueris » Blog Archive » Reflections on “Digital History” Says:

[…] amazed me was how closely our group worked together. We followed a policy where each person “managed” an aspect of the finished project, so […]